Saturday, January 15, 2011

IMH

(wordy post!)
Yep, I went to Institute of Mental Health today.
It was my first time there.

I know that some people would have stereotypes about this special group of people.
Like what I found on the website, this is one of them:
Mentally ill individuals are unstable and violent.

I admit that I too, have stereotypes about them.
Thus, when I reached the ward I was having mixed feelings.
First of all, I felt happy that I am able to gain such an experience with a group of volunteers who cared.
However, I felt nervous at the same time as the patients were staring at us when we got into the ward. & there was this level of uncertainty. I did not know what to expect as it was my first time.

But then I realise, they reminded me of the kids at my mum's kindergarten.
They too, looked at me when I first got in because I was someone new to their environment.

Anyway, we are not allowed to take any pictures due to confidentiality issues and protection of the patients.
After some interaction and warming up to the place,
I find that they are really nice and friendly people.
And the volunteers also tried to help in one way or another.

For my side,
We played some card games.
Then moved on to getting the hoop onto the cone.
Last but not least, there was a fortune telling session by one of the patients!

SUPER ACCURATE. believe it or not.

I have never done fortune telling before.
So it was kind of my first time.
He did for the 6 of us, with poker cards.

What I found most accurate:
My parents dote on me a lot.
My allowances are not too much or little, but enough for me to spend.
My mother is my mentor.

As for my personalized card,
He said that I am rarely at home.
And that I am mostly outside.
Which I found really true!
Cos I do find that I am out most of the time for school, projects, cca, going out.

But generally, we don't have anything bad:)

Oriana (new fren!) was super stunned when he could tell her that the one and only temple she goes to is Guanyin Miao in Si Ma Lu. Because it is true!
He could tell Jasmine, who is a Chinese, that her bf is a Malay.

Wow, long post!

Anyway, from this trip, I find that the people there are very real.
Not like in 'our' world, where there are fake people.
And it's really complicated?
Like when we get into the society, it is hard to tell if people are really saying what they mean.
Ahhh why can't life be as simple as that?

It was a really fulfilling experience.
And I really appreciate the staff who are there to help this group of people.
Sometimes instead of them being abnormal,
I wonder if we are normal.
What is actually defined as 'normal'?
How normal is normal?
Haha psycho terms and all time favourite debate!

Well, the main thing is,
from this trip, it did remove my stereotype of them.
I would want to visit them again.
And I want to go children's ward!
(the staff told us they go home on weekends)
We call them our 'special friends'!

New friends! :
Jasmine, A&F junior
KY, A&F junior
Haazid
Rachel, weixin
Youting
Oriana, lingying
Gaythiri
Hongyi
Ruby
Raymond
Jonathan
:)
i think that is all that i can remember!

After the trip,
went down to see my TCCC kids!
hahahaha.

Anyway, the fact to that myth above is that:
Such individuals may experience episodes when they are acutely unwell. During this period, rather than being violent or dangerous, they are more likely to be perplexed by their experiences and fearful of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment